Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I heart...postage stamp lawns

Between the monsoon and school, this weekend was one of the first I could really enjoy our backyard. Between Friday afternoon and Sunday evening I spent probably 12 hours perched in a patio chair with Bossypants, about three bottles of wine (shared with Greg) and our iPod radio. (Bossypants was great, by the way.)


Little rectangular lawns are something exclusive to the City and inner belt suburbs. As you get farther from the urban core, the lawns get bigger and require more time, energy and sometimes a landscape company to maintain. In the City, the backyards are the perfect ratio of lawn care to enjoyment.

I can mow our lawn in less than a half an hour (including our even tinier front yard.) If I get adventurous and decide to edge, I’m looking at an hour commitment, max. This is in comparison to the many activities that fit within our backyard. Since we moved in to the house in September of 2008, we have:


  • Grown vegetables
  • Smelled the roses, literally
  • Played soccer with my parents' dog
  • Barbecued, lots
  • Sat in lawn chairs while the sprinkler cooled us down
  • Enjoyed fires in the firepit
  • Watched a squirrel battle a pigeon (Squirrel won.)
  • Watched a squirrel chew on a chicken bone
  • Generally relaxed

Since the semester is now over, I am looking forward to a summer with lots of time spent in the backyard. If you are so inclined, feel free to join us.

I heart postage stamp lawns.

1 comment:

  1. I hear commenting on things (so get used to it)...

    Also work to enjoyment ratios are really big for me. My current yard is way heavy on the work side which is a drag. One good thing about moving to an apartment at the end of the summer is that my deck will be all for enjoyment. I'll miss my vegetable garden though...

    ReplyDelete