Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I heart...neighbors

A few weeks ago, our neighbor from across the street, Albert, was out grilling, and we were talking about what a beautiful day it was and how he just had to get out and barbecue. As I got ready to come in, he said, I'll bring you a sample. About 10 minutes later, he showed up on our front doorstep, fish bowl in hand containing three pork steaks for us to try. Albert watches out over our street. He sits on his front porch and keeps an eye on things to make sure it's ok.

When I come home from work, there are frequently people outside, hanging out in their front yards, listening to music, watching their kids. It's nice to have people to wave to and say hello.

The kids they are watching include a couple of groups of little girls who range from six to 10 that ride up and down our block on scooters, bikes, power wheels, what ever is the vehicle du jour. Their turn around spot is right in front of our house. (That's where the sidewalk goes from a slight decline to flattening out.) They are always polite and say hi, and giggle and do cheesy cheers so loud I can hear them word for word inside the house.

Our neighbors extend beyond our block. Neighbors were really a big reason for why we chose to stay in this area when we bought a house. Our neighbors, now friends, see the potential and want to see it become a reality. They are doing their best to focus on the positive.

I know Greg and I have tried to get as involved as we can, to watch out for our neighbors as much as we can. It's tough sometimes because there are only so many hours in the day, but I know that my neighbors are doing their part to make this a great place to live.

I heart...neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment